This post may contain affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through my links, at no extra cost to you. Please read full disclosure for more information.
You’ve aced the Starbucks application, and you’re moving on to the interview stage. Congrats! The next step is to show up for that interview looking like the professional barista you are. What you wear matters—a lot. The right outfit will not only make you look sharp, but it’ll also give you the confidence you need to sell yourself and your skills.
To begin with, Starbucks is a casual environment, so you don’t need to go overboard with a stuffy suit. The employees there are known to dress in a more relaxed and approachable manner, so you should aim for the same vibe. That said, you still want to dress to impress. After all, first impressions matter – what you wear should be clean, pressed, and presentable.
Avoid anything too revealing, frayed, or ripped. You should also steer clear of anything with profanity or crude images. You want to look polished and put-together, like someone who takes pride in their appearance and would be an asset to the company.
Here’s a quick guide to the best interview-appropriate outfits that you can wear to your next Starbucks interview.
Why What You Wear To An Interview Is Important
First impressions matter a lot – they can be the deciding factor in whether or not you get the job.
Most career experts agree that what you wear is just as important as what you say when it comes to interviews. In fact, 30% of hiring managers have confessed that they have hired or not hired a candidate based on the first impression, and of that, 55% say they based their decision on the candidate’s appearance.
Here Are A Few Other Reasons Why What You Wear To An Interview Matters:
Your clothes say a lot about you
Whether you realize it or not, what you wear to your interview sends a message to the interviewer about who you are, what kind of person you are, and how seriously you take the opportunity.
What you wear shows that you’re taking the interview seriously
Every detail counts when it comes to your interview outfit. From the way your clothes fit to the color of your shoes, each element sends a message about you. And believe it or not, that message can make or break your chances of getting the job.
Think about it this way—if you show up to your interview looking like you just rolled out of bed, it sends the message that you don’t really care about the opportunity. On the other hand, if you take the time to put together a great outfit, it shows that you’re taking the interview—and the potential job—seriously.
Your appearance affects how confident you feel
It’s not just about first impressions. What you wear to your interview can also have an impact on the way you feel about yourself during the meeting. If you look good, you’ll feel good. And if you feel good, you’re more likely to perform well.
The bottom line is this: what you wear to your interview matters. It’s not just about looking the part—it’s about feeling the part, too. So, if you want to make a great impression and increase your chances of landing the job, pay attention to what you wear.
What Makes Starbucks Interviews Different From Others? (When Thinking About What To Wear)
Generally, when you go for an interview, you try to look professional, but for Starbucks, it is different as the workplace environment is more casual.
What this means for you is that you don’t want to show up in a full suit, as you’ll look out of place. However, you also don’t want to dress too casually, as you’ll look like you don’t care about the opportunity. The key is to find a happy medium between the two. Starbucks is all about customer service, so you’ll also want to look approachable and friendly.
Unlike other interviews where you have to kill it by wearing a formal outfit, for Starbucks, you don’t have to go all out, but you still want to make sure that you look presentable. If you look at what most employees at Starbucks wear on a daily basis, from the managers to the baristas, you’ll see that they all dress relatively casual.
So, when thinking about what to wear to your Starbucks interview, aim for something that is casual but still professional. Below are a few ideas to get you started.
Ideas For What To Wear To A Starbucks Interview
In a recent interview, a Starbucks spokesman said that the coffee giant receives over 4 million applications per year but only hires around 50,000 people. So how do you make sure you’re one of the few that get hired? By nailing the interview- and that starts with your clothing.
As a general rule of thumb, you need to look professional and presentable when heading for an interview. A study done back in 2016 opined that first impressions matter, with most career experts suggesting that your outfit says a lot about you.
While you don’t have to wear a three-piece suit to your Starbucks interview, you still want to make sure that you look put together and professional.
Below are a few ideas for what to wear to a Starbucks interview,
What to Wear As a Female:
Most of the time, ladies always get the upper hand when it comes to what to wear, as there are more options. Plus, they can get away with dressing a little bit more casually than men.
Here are a few ideas for what to wear as a female to your Starbucks interview:
- Wear a blazer with a nice pair of jeans. You can also add a pop of color with your shoes or handbag. See: What Color Should I Wear to an Interview? [For Men & Women]
- Another option would be to wear a dress, but make sure it is not too short or revealing. You want to look professional, not like you’re going on a date.
- You can also try A blouse or button-up shirt with dark-wash jeans or slacks. This is an excellent option if you want to look put together but still keep it casual.
- You can also never go wrong with a classic button-down shirt and pants combo. If this is not your style, you can always add a cardigan or scarf to make it more interesting.
- As for shoes, you want to avoid anything that is too high or too casual. A nice pair of flats, loafers, or pumps would be a great option. You can also go for closed-toe shoes with a small heel. Different studies have shown that women who wear closed-toe shoes are seen as more powerful and confident, which is always a good thing in an interview setting.
- When it comes to jewelry, you want to keep it simple. A pair of small earrings and a necklace should be enough. You don’t want to overdo it as you don’t want to appear too flashy.
- Lastly, avoid wearing anything that is too tight or revealing. You want the focus to be on your qualifications, not your body.
What to Wear As a Male:
While ladies have more options for what to wear, men have it a little bit easier. This is because you really can’t go wrong with a suit. However, if you want to keep it casual, a few options are still available. Let’s have a look at some of them:
- A great option for men is to wear a collared shirt with dress pants or dark jeans. This is a classic look that is both professional and casual. If you want to keep it even more casual, you can try a collared shirt with khakis or chinos. This is a great option for summer interviews.
- You can go with a button-down shirt with dress pants or jeans. This is a little bit more casual than the collared shirt, but it will still give you a professional look. You can also try adding a sweater, especially during winter interviews. Just make sure that the sweater is not too bulky as you don’t want to appear too casual.
- When it comes to shoes, don’t do sneakers or sandals. A nice pair of loafers or dress shoes would be a great option. You can also go for boat shoes if you want to keep them casual.
- If you want to go the extra mile, you can always wear a suit. This is always a good idea as it shows that you take the interview seriously. Just make sure that the suit fits well and is in good condition.
- For jewelry, you want to keep it simple. A watch and a wedding ring should be enough. You don’t want to overdo it as you don’t want to appear too flashy.
Should I Wear Jeans To A Starbucks Interview?
It’s a known fact that getting hired at Starbucks can be difficult- but don’t let your clothing be why you don’t get the job. So to answer the question, “should you wear jeans to a Starbucks interview?”- the answer is yes!
While you want to look professional, you also want to look like you would fit in at Starbucks. And what better way to do that than by wearing jeans? Just make sure they are a dark wash and in good condition. You may also want to consider pairing them with a nicer top or blazer to dress them up a bit.
Try and avoid denim shorts, ripped jeans, or anything too casual- but don’t be afraid to wear your favorite pair of dark wash jeans to your next Starbucks interview!
You’ve Got This!
When you are deciding what to wear to your next interview, It is important to keep in mind the company culture and image. For Starbucks, you want to dress somewhere in between business casual and casual. Clothing that is too formal may come across as stuffy, while too casual clothing may make you appear unprofessional.
The best bet is to go with a classic look that is both professional and casual. Check out the clothing options above to get an idea of what to wear to your next Starbucks interview!
Check out this post next to help with your interview preparation: How to Prepare for an Interview [Ultimate Guide 2022]